The National Center for Higher Education Management Systems (NCHEMS) is a private nonprofit (501)(c)(3) organization whose mission is to improve strategic decision making in higher education for states and institutions in the United States and abroad. More info
3035 Center Green Drive
Boulder, CO 80301-2251
(303) 497-0301 (General Information)
(303) 497-0338 (FAX)
NCHEMS is located at The State Higher Education Policy Center (SHEPC).
Executive Assistant and Travel Planner
Director of NCHEMS National Information Center
Director of Computing
Director of Administration
Board of Directors
NCHEMS - A tradition of service since 1969
Through its more than forty years of service to higher education, NCHEMS has been committed to bridging the gap between research and practice by placing the latest concepts and tools in the hands of higher education policy makers and administrators. Since its founding, NCHEMS has received widespread acclaim for developing practical responses to the strategic issues facing leaders of higher education institutions and agencies. With project support from multiple foundations, NCHEMS develops information and policy tools targeted at policy makers and institutional leaders that can help them set strategic directions and evaluate their effectiveness. NCHEMS also delivers research-based expertise, practical experience, information, and a range of management tools that can help institutions and higher education systems and states improve both their efficiency and their effectiveness. A particular hallmark of what we do is identifying and analyzing data drawn from multiple sources to help solve specific policy and strategic problems.
NCHEMS places these resources in the hands of stakeholders through a variety of means:
- Specific research, consulting, or development projects funded by institutions, consortia, state agencies, federal contracts, or foundations
- Information services and resources that make the Center's extensive data holdings accessible to the higher education community
- Publications and reports that disseminate research results, concepts, principles, and strategies to a wide audience of policymakers, administrators, and researchers
- A membership program and periodic training opportunities that foster two-way communication with stakeholders; these also provide opportunities for the Center to understand and meet the changing needs of postsecondary education.
Responsiveness to higher education's practical needs is a natural product of what we do: the greatest strength of NCHEMS remains its ongoing working contact with higher education practitioners around significant problems.